Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Sarah's Quilt

I made this quilt last year for my daughter's third birthday. It uses the Fairy Hearts pattern but with some minor changes. I used 10 fat quarters of Max New's Spring Carnival range with a white on white background fabric. I just love the blues and greens mixed in with the pinks and reds.
I made this quilt before I discovered raw edge applique, so the hearts have been machine appliqued with a zigzag stitch (my first attempt).

And on each Nine Patch block I free hand machine quilted a butterfly (it was Sarah's favourite animal at the time). It was my first attempt at free motion quilting as well, so each butterfly is 'unique'.  I used the nine squares as a guide, starting at the top of the left antennae and continuing in one continuous line to the tip of the right antennae. It was simple but I had to concentrate to get the butterfly symmetrical (I practiced on paper first).

I added little appliqued hearts to each corner and stippled closely around them. I used a slightly larger free motion stipple on the rest of the border.

This quilt has been well used and loved and has seen the washing machine and dryer many times - hence the crinkly look!

The back of the quilt uses some pink and green striped fabric from Spotlight (its not pieced). I liked the green dot so much I decided to use it as the binding and I think it ties the front and back together very well.

5 comments:

  1. I love it Katie! Lucky Sarah
    XO Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been a fan of this fabric and have made 2 quilts using it. I love your design. Gorgeous work.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I try to respond but life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions please email me at kate(at)kateconklindesigns(dot)com