Saturday, April 16, 2011

Baby bag and a baby birth

Thanks for all the lovely comments of congratulations on the birth of Grace. I wanted to share some of the details of Grace's birth, but for those of you who are mainly interested in the crafty stuff, I have something for you too!

I made this bag just before Grace was born, to use as her baby bag. It is the "Cosmo Bag" from Amy Butler's book "Style Stitches". Its the first bag I've ever made, and I just love it!


It's nice and roomy with lots of pockets to hold everything babyish (and I fill it up no problem).


I absolutely love the fabric by Joel Dewberry, which is a problem, because I don't want to put it down on the ground for fear of it getting dirty!


The pattern was excellent, and I was happy it all came together so well on my first attempt. I used "Shapewell" as interfacing (on the advise of Toni from "Make it Perfect") and it gives it great structure without the bulk. I also added matching trim to the tops of the pockets and the bottom of the bag.


So now for some birth details... I woke up on Wednesday the 6th having some mild contractions. It was my son's birthday, and so I was hoping that the baby would hold off for the next day so they could have their own birthdays. I did some food shopping, dropped off some quilt patterns to Hettie's Patch (they told me to go home and rest :)) baked a birthday cake for my animal loving boy,  had my sister Kelly and her boys around to play for the afternoon - all while having contractions every 10-15 minutes or so. After birthday celebrations Todd and I snuck out for a final dinner (that blue swimmer crab pasta was absolutely delicious), and my contractions started to ramp up!


I tried to get some sleep for a couple of hours, but was woken by really strong contractions at 1am on Thursday morning (yay, we'd made it to the next day). I had to move and walk through the contractions, and woke Todd at 2am. We left for the hospital at 3am (with me kneeling on the back seat - there was no way I was sitting down!)


At this stage I was starting to get nervous about how I was going to cope, and a message from my mum to "Be strong" helped me just take one contraction at a time. The birthing centre was dark and quiet, and my midwife was reassuring. Todd and I hopped into the bath when it was finally filled and I had a couple of minutes to rest in his arms before she was born into the water and lifted into my arms. An absolute miracle.


Grace was born only an hour after arriving at hospital, and it was such a relief to be on the other side of it and to have her home with us.


We all love her to bits, and are living in this little cocoon of joy right now.






We are starting to venture out now and Grace loves snuggling in the "Hug a bub".

23 comments:

  1. Kate you made me cry (in a good way) those pics are too cute, especially the first one of Grace.
    I love your bag, I can't believe you waited this long to make one (you'll get hooked)
    Wow you guys are a big family now according to the government. Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved hearing your story. It sounds like Grace was nearly born in the car, I can't believe you did all those thing while having contractions!
    So is adorable and your family looks like a little unit now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pictures of your beautiful new daughter, congratulations! Love your new bag! Amy Butlers patterns always seem to turn out so nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just love birth stories! thanks for sharing yours! you are so strong!! water birth sounds amazing!
    your family is lovely
    beautiful baby baby too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. kate - you are looking amazing! grace is adorable :)
    and LOOOOVE the bag, glad the shapewell worked well for you.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the story of an experience mom. *S* Get everything done, have a great meal and THEN head to the birthing center.

    She's just beautiful as are you all. Don't forget to add her up at the top of the blog under your pic. "Mother of.."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh hurray! Somehow I missed your post from last Sunday so I didn't realize she had arrived. Congratulations to you and your and welcome to the world baby Grace!

    Her present is already on its way to you so I hope it arrives soon! Much love to you Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations!
    Sweet Baby and the bag is lovely too :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful bag, beautiful baby, beautiful family! What a wonderful birth you had and how nice that God let you wait until after your son's birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful birth story, thank you for sharing. And a big woohoo for babywearing daddies!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhh I love reading birth stories too :) she's beautiful! What a wonderful birth. My second son was born only an hour after getting to hospital too,, and we have the exact same hug a bub! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations!
    Grace is adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kate your bag is AMAZING!!! xx And your little girl is an angel xx Love you xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely birth story! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely nappy bag. What a beautiful birth story and baby. I have had two water births and they were so wonderful. Hug-A-Bubs are great. We had one in the same colours. I love how they keep your arms free and your babe close. Oh, and all those opportunities to kiss your baby's head. Enjoy all those newborn snuggles. Jacinta

    ReplyDelete
  16. great story, thanks for sharing! i had natural births for both of my girls, but in hospitals, and with no tub. i would love to try a water birth either at home or in a birthing center next time around - whenever that will be - so i love hearing those kinds of stories!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Precious photos, so full of love and warmth, thanks for sharing.
    And the bag is great, I like your choice of fabric very much.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, that sounds like just about the perfect birth story! So peaceful! Hope you are all enjoying the newborn days. She is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOvely pictures and beautiful baby, congrats....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Her birth sounds wonderful Kate. Congratulations on a job well done :) You are an inspiration!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful! You're brave and so incredible. You and her are beautiful! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations! How wonderful to hear this news right now.
    (The 6th wouldn't have been so bad. That is our anniversary as well as the birthday for a precious girl born after her Mama had to leave our wedding.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I try to respond but life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions please email me at kate(at)kateconklindesigns(dot)com