Friday, July 29, 2011

We've been sewing

The kids LOVED using these little sewing machines.


The pink one's great for littlies because it has a plastic guard all the way around the needle (but its a pain to thread). In the end I stopped threading it because Dane just loved running the fabric under it and didn't care that he wasn't actually 'sewing' anything.


I just bought a whole bunch of cheap felt from Spotlight which Sarah enjoyed cutting up and sewing back together (she made a little owl but I don't know where its gone now). Felt's great because it doesn't fray.


I've been doing a wee bit of sewing too.  Some little baby pants (tutorial here - just made my cuffs a bit differently).


And matching reversible shoes (tutorial here).  I lined them with flannel so they're extra comfy.


And lastly I made one of Kajsa Wikman's little Tommtu dolls from her book Scandinavian Stictches using Umbrella Prints fabrics (more about the quilt later).


I love the fact that Grace who is 1/4 Finnish now has a Finnish dolly. It's taller than her! I hope she doesn't poke her eye out with it!


Oh, and I just have to show off my new scarf. It's beautifully soft being 100% silk.


It's so grown up but kind of fun at the same time. The colours are gorgeous! Another brilliant design from Saffron Craig (they're available here).


17 comments:

  1. It's fun to see the kids sewing; Grace is adorable; and Saffron just keeps coming up with amazing things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many wonderful things in one post! I love that doll you made Kate and Grace's smile is so adorable!! Looks like the kiddos had fun sewing too :) Love you XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. What cute little machines! Your kiddies are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun for the children. Thanks for mentioning me Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My granddaughter is the same way with her little pink sewing machine - she doesn't care whether it actually holds the fabric together, she just wants it to make a lot of noise!!! She counts on using my machine (with some serious adult supervision) to really sew stuff together.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. so cute!! I love that they want to sew already! The dolly and blanket are so awesome (GREAT fabric!!!) and I LOVE your munki munki quilt. You will look beautiful in your new scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those little machines are too adorable for words...

    ReplyDelete
  8. The picture of Grace with her Dolly gave me a smile (I really needed one) its just soooooo cute. I love that its taller than her :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. adorable photographs and expressions!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. PS absolutely love Saffron's new scarves too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great post! I would love to know the brands of the machines your kids have and where you got them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It made me smile to see your children sewing on those wee machines. Thanks. Your children are great and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awwwww Kate! That shot of Grace and her doll makes me want to have another baby! Sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the kiddos sewing! Could you tell me what the brand is of Sarah's sewing machine? I have a 4 year old Granddaughter that would love a machine like that!
    The ones I have found here are not worth buying, they break easily!
    Thank you - Bonny

    ReplyDelete
  15. Seeing Dane "sewing" reminds me that when I was quite little, my mom used to send me outside with a bucket of water and a paint brush, and I would happily "paint" the side of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was thinking of getting one of those scarves too! And I love that raindrop print. I need to search that one out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I try to respond but life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions please email me at kate(at)kateconklindesigns(dot)com