Monday, February 6, 2012

Pros and Cons of Camping

Thanks for the great suggestions for books on my last post.  I love finding great books and was able to find some of the books at my local library. We've been enjoying reading "Just So Stories" by Rudyard Kipling and some of the "Tashi" books. I plan on tracking down the rest of the books too.

We went camping at Innes National Park last weekend and had an amazing time. However, camping with three young children is not always easy. Let me share with you some of the highs and lows. 


Pro - Spectacularly beautiful beaches with soft white sand


Con - Fine black sand that gets into every nook and cranny


Pro - Inquisitive wildlife visiting every morning and evening


Con - Inquisitive wildlife ripping through our rubbish and scratching at our tent in the middle of the night wanting our food (they kept coming back so we had to put the food in the car)


Pro - Letting the kids run and play with the other camping kids
Con - Trying to stop the kids from kicking up huge dust balls into other people's tents (and making 'snow angels' in the dirt)


Con - Long drop toilets
Pro - Amazingly they didn't smell!

Pro - Discovering an amazing cave that opened up into a magical rockpool.  The sand in the rockpools was incredibly soft and billowy and we could have stayed all day!


Con - We brought soap to try to bathe, but the soap just wouldn't lather in the salt water and turned into wax!

Pro - Enjoying the simple joys of camping - discovery walks, card games, telling stories in the tent.


Con - Being up half the night with a baby, so she wouldn't wake the rest of the camp ground.


It was tiring but definitely worth it.


And for those of you living in Australia - two things ...

I'm so excited to be attending the "Power of Moms" Sydney Conference on March 16th and 17th. You can win a free pass over at Seven Cherubs and Retromummy!  The retreat is going to be fantastic and I can't wait! I'm even making a list of questions... its getting long.

And I've joined the One Million Kilo Challenge. It's going really well (except for the chocolate cake with chocolate ganache last night). One week down, 9 to go.  My scales are broken, so I'm not sure if I've lost any weight, but my stomach felt flatter this morning, so I'm taking that as a good sign. I'm not really following it properly, just trying to exercise everyday and have healthy snacks instead of chocolate. Anyone else taking part?

8 comments:

  1. Be grateful, Kate, that your night-time visitors were only kangaroos and not bears and crocodiles - which were always a possibility when we camped in the Everglades (in Florida) when I was a kid! Looks like you had a wonderful time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been there! Although only with 2 kids but it gets easier as they get older, it is fantastic family time that they will remember forever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is the world's most beautiful camping place!! We've all got our wildlife issues - here it is raccoons and bears. The raccoons are a nuisance, but the bears are very scary (typically we camp on a no-bear island, so phew!). Are the roos a worry with children around, or just harmless food seekers? I just love it that you are okay with your kids getting dirty - that's the absolute best part of camping!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That beach looks beautiful, as does the cave. I bet you enjoyed that first shower/bath when you got home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, thank goodness we don't have the threat of bears! The kangaroos and wallabies are harmless, so that's not a worry, but we do have deadly snakes, spiders and sharks to deal with!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am totally doing the million kilo challenge I've lost 4kg so far :)
    I really love the sticky chicken!!!
    You know me and camping, while the scenery looks lovely I need power and hot water and when it takes 6 hours to set up I also need a week to make it worth while. BTW I also need flushing toilets lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I laughed when I read your soap comment! I used to be a sailor and we would have salt water showers. The trick was using castile soap (in the States I use Dr. Bronner's liquid) which lathers in almost anything. Hopefully that will help on future adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww looks like you had so much fun! I love the last photo of Gracie crawling up the sand trying to play with the big kids! So cute! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I try to respond but life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions please email me at kate(at)kateconklindesigns(dot)com