Friday, April 27, 2012

Gathered In - Modern Baby Quilt Pattern

As promised, here's another new baby pattern for those gorgeous charm packs sitting in your stash.


But first some background; the very first pattern of mine that was published in a magazine was my "Gathered In" quilt pattern, which appeared on the front cover of Down Under Quilts a couple of years ago. It was an incredibly surreal experience seeing my quilt on a cover.


It was a lap-sized 'stack and slash' quilt using 22, 10 inch squares. I was going for traditional fabrics with a modern layout.


Then I thought it would be great to make a baby sized version using a charm pack (5 inch squares) with more modern fabrics.


I think it works really well with Sweetwater's Reunion range and the pale blue background. I also added an extra border between the little squares in the middle and the outer border.


After much deliberation I quilted it with dense straight line quilting (about 1/4 inch apart) in quadrants. I love the look, but it was a bit of a headache trying to stop it from pulling/warping. If I was doing it again, I would quilt it a little less densely, which would also make it a little softer.



Although it looks similar to my "Scattered Showers" quilt, it's constructed in a different manner. Scattered Showers uses strip piecing, whereas this one uses the stack and slash method (and smaller scraps of fabric). Both are easy and quick to put together.


I would like to try this pattern in girly colours when I get a chance. If anyone gets around to it before I do, send me a pic, I'd love to see it.



You can find the downloadable pattern here, or ask you local quilt store for the hard copy version.

11 comments:

  1. Wow. I love it. Your work is always so professional. I have the magazine I think it was the first quilting mag I ever bought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fabulous Kate... I am inspired to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, just love all your patterns. And so great to work with too! Way back then I saw the pattern with the mag online, but, not being as savy as now (not that I am techie savy now... just a little more than then!) I did not manage to download it and printing it did not go so well either.. I found my attempt at printing this pattern actually this morning, what a coincidence! (it was spread out over about 40 pages, some only right, some left side of the A4... that would have been a big puzzle and sellotape job!) Guess I will be round soon and buy this one too!

    Adore the baby quilt in the blue, just wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous pattern, Kate! I absolutely love it - but that shouldn't be a surprise, as I haven't found one of your patterns I didn't want to jump up and make!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh Kate this is just lovely...such a darling baby quilt...good for scraps too im thinking! i love the aqua background

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoy being able to use a charm pack for this. Love that you made a version with Reunion!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another fabulous quilt! Love how you adapted this one. Looking at the magazine cover I'm wondering what a "wagga"is. Not a term used here in the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE it Kate.... Soo cute!! I have a little stash of charm packs.. i should whip em out! I have been doing lots of sewing.. just not much time for blogging.. i miss you xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS... Quilting looks Awesome! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your quilt designs so very much--this is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for making this pattern available! I have wanted to make this quilt ever since I saw it a year or two ago. It's so beautiful! I've already made the Scattered Showers, the Dandelion Windows and THere's a Square in There. So excited to get started :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I try to respond but life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions please email me at kate(at)kateconklindesigns(dot)com