Friday, April 13, 2012

Lovin' the Rock Garden

I've had fun with Umbrella Print's gorgeous Rock Garden range, pairing them with some lovely French General linen and Kona Cotton solids. I particularly love the Stone Flowers print. I think there's something Scandinavian about them, and the way Carly and Amy have made the prints look like they've been hand printed is very clever.


I used my "Through the Trees" stack and slash tutorial for this one, but made the blocks smaller (the starting blocks were 13" across and 12 1/2" down) and I made 5 angled vertical cuts instead of 7.

Also, instead of using a ruler I freehand cut the strips. I've been wanting to try this for a while and I'm so pleased with the result. It's a subtle difference, but gives a nice 'organic' feel. I might try to post a tutorial if there's any interest.


I will be demonstrating how to make this quilt at the Moonlight Markets tonight. It looks like it's going to be a lovely evening. I'll post some pics of my booth tonight on facebook.

4 comments:

  1. Love it Kate!!! xx Hey i wanna hear all about your Market night.. How fun!.. Soooo wish i could have been standing beside you xx Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Kate, I made a quilt using your "stack and slash" tutorial. I had a stack of 8 Hawaiian floral prints and bought a Kona solid brown called "earth". I call it lanai. I'm still looking for a great backing but may settle for more "earth"!
    Lisa
    Lalexander733(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so pretty. I love your selection of prints and your neutrals!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG I love it! Beautiful work and interpretation xxx!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I try to respond but life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions please email me at kate(at)kateconklindesigns(dot)com