Monday, July 2, 2012

Sewing with Kids - Cushion Tutorial

I'm excited to be posting a tutorial over at Sew,Mama,Sew! today, on how to make these gorgeous cushion covers with your children . My littlies had lots of fun creating their own unique masterpieces with fabric. Dane (3 years old) made the one with the crocodile chasing the dolphin, and Sarah (5 years old) created the meadow scene. This is a great school holiday project for all ages, but particularly the little ones who are a bit young to sew.


I'm actually quite surprised at how nice they turned out. I think we might be making more of these (wouldn't they be great as presents for the grandparents!)

Once I was finished taking some photos for the tutorial, I let the kids do what they wanted with the cushions... and ofcourse they decided on a pillow fight.


I hope you have as much fun with this tutorial as we did! The kids are so proud of themselves!

7 comments:

  1. How cute, Kate! I see the kids have inherited their mom's artistic eye!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah, yes, my Sarah in particular loves art and craft and some of her artwork is beautiful. I would like to turn some of her artwork into a quilt or a wallhanging one day.

      Delete
  2. Hi! I came over from SewMamaSew and have enjoyed looking at your blog and projects. You do such lovely work. These pillows are great, and I'm sure the kids are loving them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cary, welcome! The kids are loving them and have been sleeping on them everynight.

      Delete
  3. Those are darling pillows:) What a great project and they can show their kids down the road!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara. Hopefully they last that long! Part of me wants to put them up high in a cupboard so they can't get them dirty and worn, but the kids love using them. Maybe they'll have to make another one and I'll make them into wallhangings so they survive longer.

      Delete
  4. They are lovely Kate. I have already recommended this post to friends with kids who didn't know your blog. Great idea! (and love your kids' designs too, clearly budding talents :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I try to respond but life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions please email me at kate(at)kateconklindesigns(dot)com