Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Baby Nixon's Quilt - Rough Tutorial

I've had quite a few emails asking for details on how I made baby Nixon's quilt, so I've put together a very rough little tutorial outlining what I did, and the basic measurements. Please note, my patterns are nothing like this - they are much more detailed with pages of step by step photos/diagrams, and in depth instructions.


As you may know, I try to find the quickest easiest way of getting the look I like, and this quilt was no exception. It's a fun little one that can be adapted to whatever size you need. I used the same technique on the back of this quilt.

So, I started with pieces of patterned fabric that were 9" wide. I can't remember how many, maybe 20 pieces, 9" x approx 12". Then I cross cut them to varying thicknesses - approx 2" to 3" (see rough diagram below.) (Please note that even though the diagrams look very wonky, the fabric was actually cut with a rotary cutter and ruler throughout the process, so the edges were straight and the corners square.)



I cut the white sashing 1 1/4" wide (3/4" finished - using a 1/4" seam allowance).  I then sewed the strips of patterned fabric together with 1 1/4" x 9" sashing strips in between until it was the width I wanted the quilt to be. Nixon's quilt was about 40" wide.



At that point I horizontally cut through the entire 9" x 40" strip, giving me three 3" x 40" strips  (hopefully the pic below explains it.) 



I repeated this process another 4 times ending up with 15, 3" x 40" strips.

I then arranged all of the strips, rotating some strips 180 degrees to make the quilt look more random. When I was happy with the arrangement I sewed the strips together with 14, 1 1/4" x 40"  strips of white sashing in between.  I don't have the quilt anymore so I can't remember exact dimensions but the process would work for any size. Nixon's quilt was approximately 48"long, but you would just make more strips for a larger quilt.


I hope this all makes sense! I really enjoyed making this little quilt. I like the way the sashing makes the fabrics stand out, but you don't have to carefully align the vertical sashing strips, so it's pretty fuss free. It's also an orderly way of making something which looks random.  Please let me know if you have any questions. Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your process. Great little quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw this and let out a "yesssssssss!" - I loved this quilt and have bought the fabrics to try and recreate it at home, this post will make that a lot easier! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made perfect sense to me, but that might be because you taught me to quilt lol.
    I love all your quilts, makes me want to quilt again :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute............you explained it well......

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I try to respond but life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions please email me at kate(at)kateconklindesigns(dot)com