Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Waldorf Doll

I started making a Waldorf doll for my little Grace a year ago for her second birthday. The simple style and natural materials really appealed to me. Well, I've finally finished it in time for her third birthday coming up. I don't know why it took me so long. It really wasn't too difficult to make. There's some excellent tutorials out there, and I've heard this book is great. I used bits and pieces from free online patterns, and looked at lots of different tutorials, but mainly used these instructions to make the head, these to make the body, and this one for the hair. The most painful bit was making the dress - even though it was so simple. I really don't enjoy making clothes, especially tiny ones, with fiddly bits of elastic in sleeves. I planned on making a couple of dresses so she could change outfits, but one dress will have to do for this dolly. I'm really happy with how she turned out and hopefully she'll be treasured for years to come. I'm planning on (eventually) making another one with my left over supplies, and I'll try to make the nose stand out next time (I neglected to put a bit of glue on this one to keep it in place.) You can see a hint of a nose though... right?



I also made a little doll quilt with leftovers from my Scattered Showers quilt.



The new baby is due any day now, so the timing for finishing this doll has actually turned out quite nicely, as it will be great for Grace to have her own baby to nurse and cuddle while I have mine. I can't wait!

4 comments:

  1. Looooove! She is gorgeous Kate! Where did you get the supplies to make her? I'm feeling inspired!
    Good luck with the new bub....hope everything goes smoothly for you!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a wonderful job and as you say, the timing works out great. Love her little quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Kate, she's just adorable! I may need to make one like her for my youngest granddaughter, who loves babies (but not animals - go figure!) Good luck with that new baby - can't wait to hear about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is sooo cute! Such an exciting time for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I try to respond but life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions please email me at kate(at)kateconklindesigns(dot)com