Sunday, April 6, 2014

Flea Market Fancy Quilt while waiting for baby

I'm officially overdue and I can't wait to meet bubs. You know that moment when heaven meets earth and your world stands still and the pains of labour are all worth it. I'm hanging out for that moment!

In the mean time I'm keeping busy. I made this little quilt for the baby using Flea Market Fancy reprint fabric (and a couple of other Denyse Schmidt fabrics.) Not very original, but super easy and very satisfying (I cut the squares 4.5" if you're wondering.)


My husband is always very honest when appraising my quilts (which is good because when he gives a compliment I know it's real) and he told me outright that he didn't like these fabrics at all. It made me momentarily question how I felt about the quilt and I wondered about whether there was too much pink in it. I was going for gender neutral because we don't know what we're having, but I think it's ended up gender inclusive. The more I look at it the more I love it! This is definitely a keeper. 


To keep it really soft I used wool batting (which has a slightly higher loft than cotton or bamboo) and  quilted it sparingly. It has ended up very soft, and the rounded corners just add to that softness. This was the first time I've tried rounded corners, and other than using more fabric than usual making the bias binding, it was easy and I love the outcome. I used this tutorial from "a quilt is nice" for the rounded corners (although I sewed the binding to the front of the quilt and hand sewed it to the back.) I also used this video to make the bias binding.


I didn't get around to making a quilt for me to snuggle under during night time feedings (even though I have a couple of quilt tops ready to be quilted), so I splurged and bought this Daydream bamboo blanket. When Grace was born I bought a bamboo wrap from Aden and Anais, and it was the softest thing ever. Now they make an adult size blanket out of four layers of the same fabric (rayon from bamboo fibre muslin) and it is divine!



So here's me at 41 weeks ready to pop. We're celebrating kids birthdays over the next couple of days, so maybe the baby's waiting for it's own birthday. Either way, it wont be long now :)

13 comments:

  1. I love the baby quilt and your blanket. So pretty. Hang in there. Like you said- any day now I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep, I can see you are definitely pregnant. I have a friend who has birthed four, and she will suddenly get an adrenalin rush each time, cleans the house from top to bottom, and then collapses, and only then realizes all that energy was the beginnings of labor! And yet each time she misses the symptom - but at least her house is clean when the baby comes home! Can't wait til we hear the news of the little one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your baby quilt is so sweet - and so familiar looking, as I was working with those same Denyse Schmidt fabrics this week too! You're looking good for 41 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your quilt, it's gorgeous. Good luck, nothing better in this world than holding your newborn baby for the first time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look great! I was thinking how big your bump must be!
    The quilt is gorgeous, I love the rounded corners. I need to try that one day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh good luck and put your feet up now.... Looking forward to some photos of the new little one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. its a fabulous quilt, I love her fabric in small scale items, I love the rounded corners and you look so cute.. Its funny to me for this generation to wait for the sex as a surprise. Its hard to do, but thats the way we use to do it but we over did it with yellow and Now, your generation even uses pink and I think its all so pretty now for what we dont know whats to come. Congrats to your adn your family. Your gonna be busy !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous quilt! You're almost there!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you are beautiful kate! congratulations in advance, wont be long now. i love the quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. great quilt! good luck on your delivery!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for one's marvelous posting! I certainly enjoyed reading it, you are a great author.I will make sure to bookmark your blog and will come back later in life. I want to encourage that you continue your great work, have a nice evening!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Logo design Adelaide
    Twisted Palette provides Graphic Design solutions for businesses & individuals with consistent high quality solutions to give your business the best possible chance to engage with your target market. We cover everything from branding to print collateral to marketing collateral to promotional merchandise to websites.
    Go to:>> http://www.twistedpalette.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Get Hourly profit for 200 hours on every hour without any risk and without any work, best business plans ever
    AllTimeProfit.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I try to respond but life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions please email me at kate(at)kateconklindesigns(dot)com